How I Train
The type of training I use is called “clicker” or “marker” training. It is effective and fun for you and your dog! I have helped many owners achieve results, have fun and build strong relationships with their dogs. I teach you how to train your dog! Click here to see some video samples!
What Sets Me Apart
- I use positive reinforcement, reward-based training methods that are fun and effective for any age or breed of dog and recommended by the experts, Veterinary Behaviorists. “How to Choose a Trainer”
- I am independently certified through the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers. The CCPDT is internationally recognized as the gold standard for our profession. (www.ccpdt.org)
- Because certification alone is not enough, I have 17 years and over 1,500 hours of professional dog training experience. I also have a background in HR Management, people training, and use that every day to coach my clients how to train and build relationships with their dogs.
- Veterinarians in Jacksonville and St Augustine as well as boarding facilities, dog walkers, rescue groups, the Jacksonville Humane Society and Jacksonville ACPS all refer to me with confidence.
- I am an instructor at K9 Obedience Club in Jacksonville.
- I have volunteered for multiple shelters and rescue groups including Jacksonville Humane Society, Ayla’s Acres No-Kill Animal Rescue, Pit Sisters and TAILS.
- I am an AKC Canine Good Citizen Evaluator and experienced in animal therapy with Pet Partners.
Custom Training & Behavior Modification Plans
It’s not just about obedience, I show you how to build the foundations of good behavior! In all packages we cover any needed foundation skills and from there we customize the training plan to suit your goals including skills you want to focus on such as basic manners, loose leash walking, behavior modification for common problems like anxiety, fear, jumping up, door manners, over excitement, chewing, barking, leash pulling and more.
I offer a free phone consultation to answer specific questions you may have about how we can help your dog! Then I have you complete a couple items of “paperwork” via email and online, then begin with a first session and evaluation. The first session is usually 2 hours and includes the whole family; regular sessions are 1 hour. We cover the “human training” about the principles of positive reinforcement, how dogs learn, body language and any questions you have. Then we jump into dog training exercises right away in the second half! During this time we discuss your goals in depth and decide on a training plan that will bring the most results for you and your dog!
First Session / Evaluation – Everyone begins with this in-home starter session for the whole family to learn the principles of positive reinforcement, how dogs learn, puppy development, clicker (or marker) training basics, dog body language, child/dog safety & bite prevention, and how to get started on fun training games and work on behavior solutions right away! 2 to 2.5 hrs, $180
Behavior Primer – 4 Sessions + 1 Follow Up or 2 Virtual Support Sessions. Usually covers basic manners such as Sit, Down, Come, Hand Target, Impulse Control, Leave It, Look/Watch Me, Lay on a Mat/Place, No Jumping Up, Intro to Loose Leash, how to add cues. Total 6 hrs $415
(Primer covers foundation skills only, does not have enough time to address reactivity, fear, anxiety, aggression.)
Behavior Foundations – 8 Sessions + 2 Follow Ups or 4 Virtual Support Sessions – This package of time includes all of the Primer and allows for more work on Loose Leash Walking, Go to Mat/Place, training on location in various places like the park, vet office, beach, restaurant patios, etc, working on the “3 D’s” – Distance, Duration, Distraction!
Total 9 hrs $715
Behavior Builder – 12 In-Home Sessions + 3 Follow Ups & Virtual Support for the First Year! More options available in this package for deepening skills, working on location, counter conditioning to grooming/vet skills. Total 14 hrs plus monthly virtual support for 1 year! $1,315
Therapy Dog Training – Animal therapy visiting requires a considerable amount of natural behavior as well as high level training. Organizations who offer registrations, and thus liability insurance, require their teams be reliable, professional, safe and predictable. We can help you assess where your team skills are at and design a training plan just for you! We can support you all the way from puppy training to Canine Good Citizen evaluation to therapy team testing!
Prices/packages vary depending on team needs. Begin with an Evaluation!
All packages after the first session include a treat pouch, squeeze treat tube, access to our exclusive clients’ group on Facebook for more support, exclusive videos, tips, articles, brags, events, etc.
Behavior modification for fear, anxiety, aggression, biting (not puppy mouthing), usually start at least at the Foundations level.
Puppies needing the basics including coaching on house/potty training can often start at the Primer level.
Payment & Scheduling
The first session/evaluation is paid for in advance via secure transaction on this website. Packages are paid during our first session, via cash, check or credit/debit card via Square. You have up to 6 months from date of purchase to use all of your in-home visits; Virtual Support time can be used for up to 1 year. There are no refunds. Weekly sessions are best to start but some then choose every 2 weeks to have more time to practice. We currently schedule Tues thru Sat, 10am to 6pm for start times. At our first session we will schedule out as many sessions in advance as possible. We require a minimum of 48 hours’ notice for schedule changes otherwise we must count the session as used.
We can answer additional questions on the phone at 904-930-0331 or [email protected]